Monday, November 16, 2009
Something to talk about...
Wow... for a change, I actually have something to talk about! :)
On Sept. 24, I went into work to find an Outlook meeting request from my director. It was marked 'Team Update', and there were no recipients, which I thought was strange. Little did I know!
I went up to the meeting room listed in the Outlook request, and there was nobody there. Stranger and stranger, I remember thinking. After waiting about 10 minutes for someone to show up, I wandered down to our floor to see if anyone else knew what was going on. I asked a few of my co-workers if they knew anything about this meeting, and nobody would answer me. Lots of tension, plenty of strange looks, but no answers. Hmmm...
So I headed back up to the meeting room, and this time there was someone there. She introduced herself, and told me that she was from HR. She apologized for being late, and said that we could begin as soon as my director came in.
The icky feeling in my stomach gave me a pretty good clue as to what was happening.
Sure enough, I was being let go due to "re-structuring within ((the department))". Nine of us were affected in all, and the team was to be off-shored as of October 30.
Right after the meeting, I went home, after promising to return on Monday.
I don't remember much about that weekend.
The next few weeks were really difficult, not knowing what was going to happen. The economy is still mostly in the toilet, but I got my resume out there, anyway. 40 applications, and nothing! Pretty hard to stay motivated when all you can hear is the buzz between your ears...
I do have to credit HR with trying to find us positions in different departments. Whatever openings they received were forwarded to those of us slated to leave.
I applied for the first position and got an interview. Nada, I didn't get the job.
Applied for the second position, even though I didn't really want it - it was on the other end of the city, and I would have to drive an hour each way to get there. The pay change wouldn't even begin to make up for it. Didn't get this one, either, but didn't feel bad about it.
Applied for the third position as soon as I saw it, because it sounded like an awesome job. The interview went really well, I thought, and I really liked the hiring manager. Chewed my nails all weekend, hoping and praying this one would be mine.
Fast-forward to three days before my last day. The phone rings, and it's the manager. "I have some news that I think might make your day", she says to me.
Offer given. And accepted less than a minute later.
Waiting on pins & needles for official written offer from HR.
Two days, come on, come on, please...
Got it! Signed, scanned & emailed, consider me there!
I've been in the new job for just over two weeks, and I'm LOVING it. ^_^
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
I hate when your gut is right and there's nothing you can do. It's just so stressful. Like we need any more in our lives?
I asked my boss if she ever had to let me go, to please just call me the night before so I don't have to go in to work and have to face clearing out my desk in front of my co-workers.
The economy is scary out there. I'm really happy that you found another job and that you like it so much.
Congrats on finding the silver lining!
shoot!
ps - thanks for the compliment. I felt I owed everyone a peek. :)
Thank you so much for your kind words. I will pass on your good wishes to my sister.
Diolch unwaith eto.
'Restructuring' is such a nasty little word. So sorry you had to see in action, SisM.
But - congratulations on your new job!, and making it through that sh*tty, in-between employment, time.
You haz serious skills, and it is nice to know that other people value them, and you. It sounds like you have found a really good fit. *hugs*
Hiya Sis! Thanks for stopping in the other day, I miss talking with you too!
O.M.G. Getting let go because of restructuring is one of my scariest nightmares, especially because my company has been doing a *ton* of restructuring lately. But I'm so glad you were able to find a new job, especially one you like. It must have been horrible during the time when you didn't know what would happen. If it was me, I think it would have been one long panic attack. I'm so happy you made it through. Congrats on the new position!
You celebrate Thanksgiving on a different day in Canada, right? What are the typical Thanksgiving traditions there?
We had roast chicken instead of turkey this year, but it was just as tasty. I ate so much, I had to undo the top button on my jeans! I love my mom's food, but I don't get to eat it very often since she lives kinda far away, so whenever I get the chance, I indulge. Especially on a holiday. :)
I hope you're doing well!
*hugz*
Andrea
I did enjoy the hell out of chocolate and bacon. I unplugged and made an attempt at mentally regrouping. I did find that White Witch, Black Curse is now out in paperback (so I’m reading that one) and that Skin Trade won’t go paperback until after May (I think). Thought I might even try the other series by Laurell to see how I’d like it.
So, um, I read. Played Sims. Slept in. Cooked food.
Hi there. Just wanted to pop in and wish you a Happy Christmas.
Cyfarchion y tymor o Gymru.
Nadolig Llawen.
Happy Holidays Nikki!
Just popping by to say "hi."
I've missed seeing you and your boots around the 'net.
Post a Comment